Former summer intern joins GSB
A summer internship with Gothenburg State Bank turned into a full-time job for Will Rathjes.
Rathjes(pronounced Raw-jess) graduated from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in May with an agri-business degree with an emphasis in banking and finance.
Once Rathjes receives his securities license, he’ll be a financial advisor in GSB’s Investment Service Center.
“I will help lessen Nate’s load and offer a greater opportunity for growth,” he said. “I always wanted to do something with investment banking and I liked the people I’d be working with.”
Nate Wyatt heads up the bank’s investment service.
When interning at the bank last summer, Rathjes said he worked in every department in the bank.
Rathjes, who’s originally from Elwood (population 761), said Gothenburg is one of the largest towns in which he’s lived, other than Lincoln. His family also lived in Kansas before moving to Elwood.
During his junior year of college, Rathjes was a page at the Nebraska Legislature.
There, he said he wore bow ties which got some pages and senators to wear the neck wear on Fridays, particularly Sen. Beau McCoy who wears the ties often.
At the bank last summer, Rathjes said he started a similar trend in which some employees—including women—wore bow ties on Thursday.
In his spare time, he likes to hunt, fish, surf the Internet, hang out with friends, golf and play the guitar.
Rathjes played the guitar for bank employees last summer to introduce himself to the banking staff.
- New paint job
- City sales tax to fund $1.4 million of RDA project
- Swedes grind out 40-21 win over Valentine
- Food Backpack Program added to list of agencies that get United Fund support
- Swedes scramble to split triangular
- Gothenburg tax levy ranks fifth in county
- Brady village budget passes; trustees may make change in lift station involved in lagoon project
- Brady runs over Broncos in blowout