Golfers improve 41 strokes over year ago
Graham earns 15th place.
KEARNEY—Trophies and medals are a nice reward for a job well done on the golf course, especially early in the season.
What Gothenburg coach Jim Henke looks for this time of year, above all else, is improvement from previous rounds.
The Swedes finished the Kearney Catholic Invite at Meadowlark Hills in Kearney Thursday with a team total of 456.
That score was 41 strokes better than the same meet a year ago and good enough for seventh place.
“The girls gave a good effort against good competition on a tough course,” Henke said.
Kearney Catholic, 2008 Class C state champions, blew away opponents, taking the title with a team total of 345 and five medalists.
Second place was Grand Island Central Catholic, 24 strokes back at 378.
Swede senior Elizabeth Graham earned the 15th place medal shooting 105.
Sidney Thompson was just outside medal range with 107, improving her personal score 35 strokes from last year.
Individual title winner was Danielle Lemek of Doniphan-Trumbull. The returning Class C state champ shot a 74.
1. Kearney Catholic 354; 2. Grand Island Central Catholic 378; 3. Doniphan-Trumbull 427; 4. St. Paul 434; 5. Loup City 453; 6. Wood River 455; 7. Gothenburg 456; 8. Ravenna 460; 9. Hastings St. Cecilia 509; 10. Cozad 511. Centura, Kearney Catholic JV and Gibbon, no team scores.
TOP 15 GOLFERS
1. Danielle Lemek, Don-Trum 74
2. Allison VenJohn, KC 78
3. Shelby Stone, St. Paul 88
4. McKenna Kime, GICC 89
5. McKenzie Marshall, KC 89
6. Molly Drozd, KC 93
7. Michaela Ostdiek, GICC 93
8. Rachelle Hamik, KC 94
9. Maegan Kellogg, GICC 98
10. Mikayla Northup, GICC 98
11. Kristin Harders, WR 101
12. Nikke Kohles, GICC 103
13. Kaley Hodgun, HSC 103
14. Jenna Woitaszewski, WR 104
15. Elizabeth Graham, Goth 105
Elizabeth Graham 51-54—105
Sidney Thompson 51-56—107
Jourdan Matthies 60-61—121
Haley Scheidt 63-60—123
Anna Boson 67-58—125
Becca Else 77-79—156
- Lake Helen coming to life
- Dist. 20 state aid chopped
- Dawson County 4-H students return from trip East
- Rodeo, fun walk part of July 4 events
- Pony Express Re-ride gallops past Gothenburg
- Jack Ostergard part of Nebraska Sandhills Cowboy Hall of Fame
- Commissioners receive four bids for new culverts
- City council forced to go with gut over escaped dog