Gene Owen Shawley, 71 - January 19, 2014Gene Owen Shawley, 71, of Gothenburg died Sunday, Jan. 19, 2014, at Gothenburg Memorial Hospital, from cancer.
Memorial services will take place at the Evangelical Free Church on Thursday, Jan. 23, 2014, at 2 p.m. with the Rev. Nathaniel Gustafson officiating. Inurnment will be conducted at Poulsbo, WA, at a later date.
Shawley was born Aug. 22, 1942, at Seattle, WA, to Ray Tolstrup and Elaine (Adams) Shawley.
He grew up at Bainbridge Island, WA, where he graduated from Bainbridge High School in 1960. Following graduation, he served his country with the U.S. Navy.
Shawley was employed as a machinist for many years in the Poulsbo area and worked for the Washington Department of Transportation. He retired from there as a general foreman.
He was married to Beverly Hall of Gothenburg on June 23, 2013, at the Evangelical Free Church and resided in Gothenburg until his passing.
Shawley loved spending time with his family and staying active in his church, said family members.
He was preceded in death by: his parents, Ray and Elaine; his first wife; a brother.
Survivors include: his wife, Beverly Hall of Gothenburg; four sons and five daughters; 21 grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren; a brother, Steve Shawley; numerous nieces and nephews.
Memorials are suggested to the Evangelical Free Church, 1721 Lake Ave., Gothenburg, NE 69138 and the Gothenburg Senior Center, 410 20th St., Gothenburg, NE 69138.
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair
- Learning to adapt to change
- City Council sets tax request and levy for 2016-17
- Cornhusking contest returns to Harvest Festival after 17 year absence
- Summer evening bike ride goes wrong
- New hospital safety ratings now available to the public
- Mentees, others share value of TeamMates