Daniel Brestel, 85 - October 29, 2008
Daniel “Dan” Martin Brestel, 85, originally of Gothenburg and Brady, died Sunday, Oct. 5, 2008, while in Mexico.
Burial services will be held Friday, Nov. 28, at 1:30 p.m. at Ft. McPherson National Cemetery at Maxwell.
Brestel was born Aug. 24, 1923, to Martin and Blanche (Fowles) Brestel of Brady.
He graduated from Brady High School, attended Colorado College and the University of Nebraska where he entered the Navy V 12 program. He also attended Harvard Graduate School of Business Navy Supply Corps Midshipman Officers School, and graduated as a Commissioned Officer.
As a young man, he worked at Brestel Grocery and Brestel Purebred Hereford Ranch. Later, while he was working for Byron-Jackson Pump Division-Borg Warner in Chicago, he decided to return to Nebraska and purchased Weld Rite Machine Shop in Gothenburg. In 1970, the business expanded into Boice Crane Industries, Inc. He had spent many of the last thirty years in sunny Mexico enjoying the people, culture and many challenging projects.
?He was preceded in death by: his wife of 42 years, Marjorie Joan (Blumer) Brestel.
?Survivors include: a daughter, Vicki Lake Naranjo of Dallas, TX; a son, Barry F. Brestel of West Des Moines, IA; granddaughters—Audrey and Emily Brestel; a brother, Leyon Brestel of Norfolk.
Donations/memorials are suggested to Meals on Wheels of Gothenburg.
- New paint job
- City sales tax to fund $1.4 million of RDA project
- Swedes grind out 40-21 win over Valentine
- Food Backpack Program added to list of agencies that get United Fund support
- Swedes scramble to split triangular
- Gothenburg tax levy ranks fifth in county
- Brady village budget passes; trustees may make change in lift station involved in lagoon project
- Brady runs over Broncos in blowout