Daniel Brestel, 85 - October 29, 2008
Daniel “Dan” Martin Brestel, 85, originally of Gothenburg and Brady, died Sunday, Oct. 5, 2008, while in Mexico.
Burial services will be held Friday, Nov. 28, at 1:30 p.m. at Ft. McPherson National Cemetery at Maxwell.
Brestel was born Aug. 24, 1923, to Martin and Blanche (Fowles) Brestel of Brady.
He graduated from Brady High School, attended Colorado College and the University of Nebraska where he entered the Navy V 12 program. He also attended Harvard Graduate School of Business Navy Supply Corps Midshipman Officers School, and graduated as a Commissioned Officer.
As a young man, he worked at Brestel Grocery and Brestel Purebred Hereford Ranch. Later, while he was working for Byron-Jackson Pump Division-Borg Warner in Chicago, he decided to return to Nebraska and purchased Weld Rite Machine Shop in Gothenburg. In 1970, the business expanded into Boice Crane Industries, Inc. He had spent many of the last thirty years in sunny Mexico enjoying the people, culture and many challenging projects.
?He was preceded in death by: his wife of 42 years, Marjorie Joan (Blumer) Brestel.
?Survivors include: a daughter, Vicki Lake Naranjo of Dallas, TX; a son, Barry F. Brestel of West Des Moines, IA; granddaughters—Audrey and Emily Brestel; a brother, Leyon Brestel of Norfolk.
Donations/memorials are suggested to Meals on Wheels of Gothenburg.
- Walk to end Alzheimer’s DAWSON COUNTY EVENT
- Experts don’t recommend getting into a lightning crouch
- Finken shakes off the rust, returns to education
- ‘Raising Nebraska’ exhibit highlights food and families who grow it
- Hazardous waste collection planned
- Herd rebuilding tips to be offered at State of Beef Conference
- Bronze Star for outstanding service in Afghanistan
- Raising the bar