William Schartz, 90 - June 20, 2007
William “Bill” J. Schartz, 90, died Friday, June 8, 2007, at Larned, KS, Health Care Center.
Vigil and rosary were held Sunday, June 10, and funeral mass was held on Monday at the Sacred Heart Church in Larned with the Rev. Bernard Felix presiding. Burial was at the Belpre Cemetery at Belpre.
Schartz was born on Jan. 28, 1917, at Ellinwood, the son of Nicholas John and Margaret L. Meyeres Schartz.
He was a resident of Larned since 1976 and moved from rural Belpre where he owned and operated a farm.
On June 2, 1937, he married Mary Elizabeth Northart at Ellinwood. The couple had recently celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary.
Schartz was a member of Sacred Heart Catholic Church, the Knights of Columbus Fourth Degree of Larned, the Coronado Assembly and the National Farmers Union. He was a benefactor to many persons and many organizations, according to family members.
He was preceded in death by: a son, Robert A.; sister, Cecelia Pillar; brother, Arthur.
Survivors include: two sons—LeRoy (Elnora) William of Oklahoma City, OK, and Daniel (Mary) Jerome of Gothenburg; a daughter, Patricia A. Thompson of Larned; brother, Mark L. of Larned; sister, Wilma Zeigler of Broomfield, CO; 12 grandchildren, 22 great-grandchildren and three great-great-grandchildren.
In lieu of flowers, memorials are suggested to the Bill Schartz Memorial to be distributed to his charities in care of: Morell Funeral Home, P.O. Box 124, Larned, KS 67550-0124.
- Consultant retained for Lake Helen City engineer finalizing design
- Surveys reveal BBQ challenge successful
- Tears, laughter, dancing highlight GHS graduation
- ‘Circle of Friends’ said to be successful
- Tiani Reeves leads a group of five Swede state qualifiers
- Swedes place 8th at Cozad Invitational
- Golfers improve on West Wind course
- Legion baseball season begins May 23