Elmer Bonsack, 80 - February 14, 2007
Elmer Bonsack, 80, of Friend died Monday, Feb. 12, 2007, at the Friend Manor.
Services will be held at 1 p.m. Friday, Feb. 16, at the Godberson Mortuary in Gibbon with the Rev. Peggy Michael-Rush officiating. Family burial services will be held at a later date.
Bonsack was born Nov. 29, 1926, in Hall County to Herbert O. and Charlotte V. (Wiggins) Bonsack. He grew up in the Wood River area and graduated from Wood River High School.
He attended Kearney State Teachers College, graduating with a masters degree in education.
He served during World War II in the United States Navy from 1944 to 1946 as a yeoman 3rd class.
On May 24, 1947, he and Marie Poffenbarger were married. He was a school superintendent at several Nebraska schools and a shop teacher and volleyball coach. After retiring, the couple moved to Gibbon in 1985 where they made their home. He was a member of the Gibbon American Legion Post.
He was preceded in death by his parents, his wife in 1996, son Jerry, brother Herb Jr. and brother-in-law Sherman Poffenbarger.
Survivors include: two sons—Ron Bonsack of Gothenburg and Roger (Pam) Bonsack of Peoria, IL; daughter—Jeniece (Al) Kimminau of Cordova; 12 grandchildren, 15 great-grandchildren and two great-great-grandchildren; sister-in-law Elsie Bonsack of Wood River.
Godberson Mortuary of Gibbon is in charge of the arrangements.
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair
- Learning to adapt to change
- City Council sets tax request and levy for 2016-17
- Cornhusking contest returns to Harvest Festival after 17 year absence
- Summer evening bike ride goes wrong
- New hospital safety ratings now available to the public
- Mentees, others share value of TeamMates